WordPress Image Compression Plugins And Usage
Are you looking for an image compression plugin for your WordPress site? Want to speed up your WordPress site?
In this article, we will share the best image compression plugins for your WordPress site. This is an expert pick you can trust to pick any image compression plugin to speed up your website.
1 – ShortPixel
ShortPixel is developed exclusively for WordPress. It offers both free and paid accounts (like many others). However, it has nice and different features that we will talk about a little bit about this service.
- They support Lossy and Lossless image compression.
- They support JPG, PNG, GIF and PDF file extensions for compression.
- It keeps the original version of the compressed image file and can restore it if you want.
- All old downloads can be compressed with one click.
- After you upload an image to your site, it can automatically compress images.
- There is no file size limit.
- You have the opportunity to manage your paid and free quota.
- It backs up your original images to a separate folder.
- While compressing the image, it can perform the compression process by selecting your thumbnails or the image you have uploaded.
- It allows you to delete or preserve the EXIF tag of the image.
- You can compress 100 free images every month.
- Friend referral program: For every person you refer, you get 100 more free compressions per month.
- You can get limited compression right by paying monthly or once.
- You can compress images without time limit by paying $9.99 for 10,000 image compression rights.
- Unfortunately, they only accept PayPal as a payment method. PayPal currently does not process payments through Turkey.
It is easy to set up and the interface is simple. You will see what we mean when you start doing batch image compression with this plugin.
After creating your free account , login to your ADMIN area and get the API key. Install and activate the ShortPixel WordPress plugin .
After installing the WordPress plugin and obtaining your API key, go to Settings > ShortPixel .
To optimize your old images, go to the Media > Bulk ShortPixel tab.
The nice thing about this plugin is that you can deselect thumbnails without compressing them.
This ensures that your compression limit is only used for large images, which are the culprit of your slow-loading pages.
This plugin is regularly updated and has a 4.7 star rating and over 40,000 active downloads in the WordPress plugin directory.
ShortPixel is an ideal solution for image and PDF compression in WordPress.
We recommend that you create a free account and try it out.
2 – reSmush.it
reSmush.it provides free image compression service. It deserves the second place in the list for us in terms of its ease of use and settings, and the features it offers. If add-on features are developed in the future, it may take the first place.
- Supports JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG and TIF file types via the plugin.
- You can compress your image files that do not exceed 5 MB in size on the plugin.
- You can compress all your images in bulk.
- You can achieve the most efficient compression by determining the image quality yourself.
First of all, you need to install and activate the reSmush.it Image Optimizer WordPress plugin.
To optimize your images, go to the Media > reSmush.it tab.
All settings and functions of the plugin are done on a single page. You will find that it is extremely easy to understand and follow the process.
The first thing you should know is that reSmush.it does not collect the original versions of your images under a separate folder during the compression process. Therefore, you should be careful when determining the image quality.
The default setting rate that comes as a recommendation is 92. We tried it as 90 and we were very satisfied. Image quality is set between 0 and 100.
Don’t forget to save the changes. This is the only setting you need to make through the plugin.
Now you can compress images in bulk by clicking the Optimize all pictures button.
After the image compression process, you can look at the compression data from the statistics table in the page.
The only drawback of reSmush.it WordPress image compression plugin is that it actively supports three servers. You can check the status of the image compression service it provides for free here .
3 – TinyPNG
TinyPNG is one of the less popular services for compressing images. However, it finds its place in our list thanks to the paid and free features and WordPress plugin.
- It automatically compresses your newly uploaded images.
- It only supports JPEG and PNG files.
- It has batch image compression support.
- It offers image resizing support in itself.
- It can convert CMYK to RGB.
- A single API can be used for multiple sites.
- No limit for file size.
- It offers 500 image compression rights per month.
- 10,000 image compression rights $85.50 (representatively calculated using the calculation tool on the site).
First of all, we install and activate the Compress JPEG & PNG images WordPress plugin.
Then we create our Developer API account for free from the TinyPNG site .
Assuming you have the API and setup, we come to the Settings > Environment page.
After entering our API key, you can do the image compression process under the Environment by making the basic settings.
4 – Kraken
This is another paid plugin that is quite popular. It is one of the most popular image compression services in the WordPress plugin directory.
Kraken allows us to batch optimize all image files on your site and download them as zip files.
- It supports JPG, PNG and GIF file formats.
- WP-CLI is supported.
- It keeps a backup of the original image in cloud storage.
- It can resize images.
- It optionally edits EXIF data.
- It gives you 100MB for one time to test the system.
- Maximum file size limitation is 1MB.
- It offers 2 months free usage with annual purchases.
- It gives the right to use on multiple websites with a single account.
As with other plugins, you need to get the API and WordPress plugin in this plugin. Create your free trial account from the Kraken API link.
After installing and activating the Kraken.io Image Optimizer plugin. Open the Settings > Kraken.io page via your WordPress administration panel .
Do not forget to say Save All after filling in the API Key and API Secret fields on the plugin page.
After making your API connection, you do not need to make too many settings.
You can set EXIF from Advanced Settings. You can also edit your limit of files to be processed simultaneously while compressing images in batches.
5 – Imagify
Imagify automatically compresses your images under the WordPress media library, both paid and free. In addition, thanks to three different compression levels, it provides you with a way to compress in serious sizes.
- They support Lossy and Lossless image compression.
- Provides support for restoring processed images.
- It offers a choice of three different compression levels.
- It offers simultaneous use on many sites with a single API.
- It can rescale images.
- It supports most common image formats.
Free Account :
- You can use 25MB free image compression per month.
- Free accounts allow you to compress your files of 2 MB or less.
Paid Account :
- There is no limit for file size in the paid account.
- 2 months discount advantage is provided for annual purchases.
- If monthly accounts don’t appeal to you, you can check out the 500 MB, 1 GB and 3 GB single payment accounts for image compression.
After installing and activating the plugin, you will see the imagify welcome screen. You need to get your API key by following the steps on this screen.
First up Sing up, It’s Free! You must register with your e-mail address by clicking the button. Copy the API key that will be sent to your e-mail address to the relevant field by pressing the I have my API key button. Press the Go to Settings button to set the basic settings of the plugin.
The most basic point you should pay attention to when you come to the settings page of the plugin is the compression level. You can also customize all the settings of the plugin on this screen. Compression levels and descriptions:
- Normal : While providing the lowest compression performance, it does not visually distort your images.
- Aggressive : Compression performance is generally sufficient for most WordPress users. Minor visual distortions may occur when compressing your images as much as possible.
- Ultra : In addition to achieving the highest values in terms of compression performance, it can create visual distortions.
Our recommendation is to use the Agressive level. If you don’t care about distortion in your images, you can get serious compression ratios using the Ultra level.
After choosing your compression level, the last step you need to do is press the Imagify’em all button. Batch compression will be done depending on your compression right.
WordPress image compression plugins are just as important to your site’s speed and user experience as security, caching, and SEO plugins. Choosing a suitable plugin according to the image content of your site and compressing it will affect your ranking in terms of search engines such as Google. Remember that fast loading pages will always be higher up.
In this article, we tried to give information about WordPress image compression plugins and their basic usage. We will update our list from time to time. Remember, fast-loading websites are important to Google and your visitors.
Finally, do not hesitate to write us what you want to ask as a comment.